SABINEWS EVENING NEWS UPDATE FOR JUNE 5, 2017
Ambode suspends NURTW activities at Oshodi
The Lagos State Government has suspended the activities of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) at Oshodi and its environs, over the recent assassination of one of the union members.
Prince Lanre Elegushi, the Acting Commissioner for Transportation, announced this on Monday at a news conference at Ikeja. Elegushi said that all union activities in the seven branches of the union affected by the crises have been suspended indefinitely. Read more
2019 Elections: INEC to Review Communication Policy
Ahead of the next general election in 2019, the Independent National Election Commission (INEC) has commenced a comprehensive review of its public communication policy and strategy to enhance information dissemination and positive image perception.
The commission in conjunction with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on Monday kick-started a two-day workshop in Kaduna involving all INEC senior management staff across the country. Read more
Man, 26, docked for stealing wine at Shoprite
A 26-year-old man, Tajudeen Balogun, was on Monday brought before an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court for allegedly stealing two bottles of wine valued at N65, 200.
Mr. Balogun, a residing in Ikorodu, near Lagos, allegedly stole the wine at the Shoprite in the Ikeja Shopping Mall at Alausa. The prosecutor, Clement Okuoimose, said the accused committed the offence on May 28. Read more
How Nigeria’s former minister, head of UNFPA, Babatunde Osotimehin, died
The Executive Director of the United Nations Population Fund, UNFPA, Babatunde Osotimehin, passed on while watching television alone in his home in New York on Sunday, PREMIUM TIMES has learnt.
Mr. Osotimehin, a former Nigerian health minister and also former head of Nigeria’s AIDS agency, NACA, was one of the most senior Nigerians within the United Nations system, who had been on his second term as a UN Under-Secretary-General and Executive Director of UNFPA. Read more
Lagos NUT intensifies lobby to extend teachers’ retirement age
The Lagos State Wing of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) on Monday called for an immediate extension of the retirement age of teachers from to 60 years to 65 years.
Mr Segun Raheem, Chairman of the Lagos NUT, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in an interview that the extension had become imperative. Read more
NBC Spends N$26m on 620,000 Set-up Boxes for Nigerian Homes
The Director General of the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), Alhaji Modibo Kawu, on Monday said that the commission has expended the sum of $26 million to procure 620,000 set-up boxes for Nigerian homes, adding that the procurement is part of the digital switch-over of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) Read more
Ekiti Disburses N1bn as Housing, Car Loans to Workers
The Ekiti State Government has disbursed over N1 billion as housing and car loans to workers in the state public service since the inception of the Ayodele Fayose-led administration about two and a half years ago.
The state Head of Service (HoS), Dr. Olugbenga Faseluka, who made this known in Ado Ekiti on Monday, said that over N413.18 million was disbursed as housing loans, while N696.87 million was disbursed to 2,997 workers during the period. Read more
Shettima Presents C of O of Military Varsity to Buratai
In order to hasten the take-off of the Nigerian Army University proposed to be established in Biu, Borno State, Governor Kashim Shettima on Monday presented the Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) and surveyed site masterplan to the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt. Gen. Yusuf Buratai.
Shettima also assured the COAS that the state government would fully support the establishment of the university and support its development. Read more
Money laundering: Court to rule on Kalu’s objection June 6
A Federal High Court on Monday in Lagos fixed June 6 foe ruling on the objection by a former Governor of Abia, Orji Uzor Kalu, to the evidence of a prosecution witness in his trial.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had on Oct. 31, 2016, slammed a 34-count charge of N3.2 billion fraud on Kalu and his ex-Commissioner for Finance, Ude Udeogo. Read more
COSON to honour late MKO Abiola on June 12
Mr Chibueze Okereke, the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON), has said that the organisation will honour late Chief MKO Abiola on June 12 at the new COSON House, Ikeja.
Okereke told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos on Monday that the honour would be in form of a lecture. The title of the lecture will be: “June 12 and the Lessons of History.’’ Read more
Dakingari denies defecting to APC
A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Kebbi, Alhaji Lawali Dakingari, has denied defecting to the All Progressives Congress (APC).
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Dakingari, a nephew to former governor Saidu Dakingari, said he was not among those that defected to the APC on Sunday. Read more
Court grants bail to whistle blower on Ekweremadu
A Gudu Upper Area Court, Abuja, on Monday granted bail in the sum of N500,000 to 50-year-old businessman, Ahmed Echoda, who allegedly gave false information to the Police about Sen. Ike Ekweremadu’s guest house.
The judge, Alhaji Umar Kagarko, also ordered the defendant to provide one surety who must reside within the court’s jurisdiction and adjourned the case until July 20 for hearing. Read more
How Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool-Bound Nigerian Wonderkids Reacted To England Win
Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur, Everton players of Nigerian descent plus the Liverpool-bound Dominic Solanke have taken to social media to express their happiness after England qualified for the last four of the 2017 Fifa U20 World Cup with a 1-0 win over Mexico.
Solanke is enjoying life in South Korea, with the striker netting the winner for the Young Lions two minutes into the second half, and that goal brought him level with Lookman as the team’s top scorer. Read more
Arsenal Target Henry To Earn N236 Million More Than Enyeama (Per Season)
French Ligue 1 club OGC Nice are hoping to beat their more illustrious rivals Arsenal to the signature of in-demand striker Henry Onyekuru in the summer transfer window.
If we are to believe scorenigeria.com.ng, OGC Nice are willing to pay Onyekuru £40,000-a-week (equivalent of N978 million per season in Nigerian currency). “Nice have joined the race to sign Henry (Onyekuru). Their offer on Saturday will pay him like £40,000 a week,” a source close to Onyekuru said. Read more
Seven Eagles Hit Uyo Ahead Bafana Bafana Clash
Seven Super Eagles players have arrived their Le Meridien Ibom Hotel and Golf Resort, Uyo camp ahead of Saturday’s 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.
According to a tweet on the official handle of John Ogu who is in camp, Dele Alampasu, Daniel Akpeyi, Kayode Olarenwaju, Victor Osimhem are in camp at at Monday morning. Read more
Messi Barcelona transfer demand: Coutinho, Mahrez and Verratti targeted
Barca missed out on La Liga glory this term after arch-rivals Real Madrid pipped them to the title. A busy summer at the Nou Camp is expected as the Catalans look to compete next term.
New boss Ernesto Valverde will want to make his mark. The former Athletic Bilbao boss replaced Luis Enrique who stepped down after three years in charge. Read more
INTER MILAN BEGIN SEARCH FOR PERISIC REPLACEMENTS
The Italian news outlet claims the club’s new manager, Luciano Spalletti, who will take the reins this week, wants to hold onto the 28-year-old Croatian ace “at all costs”.
However, it is said that if Perisic does leave, the club have identified Sassuolo winger Domenico Beradi and Federico Bernardeschi of Fiorentina as possible replacements. Read more
TRANSFER NEWS: CHELSEA’S EDEN HAZARD REFUSES TO RULE OUT A MOVE TO REAL MADRID
Chelsea’s Eden Hazard reveals that he would consider an offer to move to reigning European Champions Real Madrid in the summer
As per The Mirror, Hazard recently revealed that he would consider moving to the Santiago Bernabeu, should an offer come his way in the upcoming transfer window. “Of course I will look at that. Honestly, I do not know what will happen to me,” he said. Read more
FIFA 18 details confirmed: Ronaldo on the box, release date and trailer
After a series of leaks, EA Sports has officially revealed some of the details about this years footy outing, FIFA 18.
It has also posted a teaser video that shows the main cover star, Cristiano Ronaldo, in action. And the release date has been unveiled as 29 September across PS4, Xbox One and PC. Those who subscribe to EA Access on Xbox One will actually get to play the full game from 21 September. Read more
Former Premier League star Cheick Tiote dies at age of 30 after collapsing in training
Former Premier League player Cheick Tiote has died at the age of 30 after collapsing during a training session in China.
Tiote, who joined Chinese second division side Beijing Enterprises earlier in the year, was reportedly rushed to hospital on Monday. However, it has been confirmed that the Ivorian had passed away. Read more
London attack: Every mayor in America thanks Sadiq Khan for his leadership, in sharp contrast with Trump
Mr Khan has frequently been a foil for criticism from the US President, and Mr Trump began tweeting about him just hours after the attack in London that left seven dead. Even though Mr Khan has roundly condemned the attack and said there was no reason for people to be alarmed by the sight of armed police officers, Mr Trump had said: “At least 7 dead and 48 wounded in terror attack and Mayor of London says there is ‘no reason to be alarmed!’” Read more
Friends: Man ‘charged’ at terrorists to protect others in London Bridge attack
A soccer fan was reportedly injured when he tried to protect others during the terrorist attacks at London Bridge on Saturday.
Roy Larner is said to have “charged” at the terrorists to try to help others escape but was stabbed five times during the carnage Saturday evening.
Seven people were killed and an additional 48 injured in attacks at London Bridge and Borough Market after terrorists drove a white van into pedestrians crossing the bridge. Read more
British authorities failed to act on London terror suspect, BBC reports
British security services failed to take action against one of the three suspects shot dead by London police during Saturday night’s terror attack despite warnings from a friend who feared he may have become radicalized, the BBC reported Monday.
None of the three alleged perpetrators who killed seven people in the attack on London Bridge and in Borough Market have been named publicly by authorities, although the BBC said it has their names. Read more
Iran blames Donald Trump for escalating Qatar diplomatic crisis
Iran has accused the US of setting the scene for the escalating Gulf diplomatic crisis during President Donald Trump’s recent trip to the Saudi Arabia. “What is happening is the preliminary result of the sword dance,” Hamid Aboutalebi, deputy chief of staff of Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani, tweeted, in a reference to a traditional ceremonial dance that took place during Mr Trump’s visit to the Saudi capital of Riyadh last month. Read more