Abba Kyari, Buhari’s Chief of Staff, passes on, succumbs to COVID-19

Abba Kyari, Buhari’s Chief of Staff, passes on, succumbs to COVID-19

Abba Kyari, Chief of Staff to President Muhammadu Buhari, is dead.

The passing of Abba Kyari, who had previously tested positive to the dreaded COVID-19; was confirmed by the Special Adviser to the President on Media/Publicity, Femi Adesina. Equally important, the Presidency disclosed this in a brief statement released to the media on Saturday morning.

‘‘The Presidency regrets to announce the passage of the Chief of Staff to the President, Mallam Abba Kyari. The deceased had tested positive to the ravaging COVID-19, and had been receiving treatment. But he died on Friday, April 17, 2020. May God accept his soul. Funeral arrangements will be announced shortly.’’

In addition, the development was communicated via a tweet posted on his verified handle on the micro-blogging site, Twitter.

‘‘Chief of Staff to the President, Mallam Abba Kyari, passes on. May God rest his soul. Amen. Funeral arrangements to be announced soon.’’

Indeed, 1st News had reported that the deceased Abba Kyari had tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday, March 23.

ALSO READ: Coronavirus: Kyari, Buhari’s aide, may have difficulties recovering

Abba Kyari
Kyari, right, with President Buhari

Abba Kyari had travelled to Germany on Saturday, March 7th to meet with officials of Siemens in Munich; on the Nigerian electricity expansion programme. He returned exactly one week later on Saturday, March 14th, but did not show any symptoms. He was said to have been at a meeting on containing the COVID-19 pandemic in Nigeria all through Sunday; where he reportedly started to cough. Thereafter, he voluntarily submitted himself for testing and was informed of his status subsequently.

However, Kyari has gone into absolute isolation following the test result.

Subsequently, he had reportedly been flown into Lagos; where he was said to be undergoing treatment on the advice of his doctors. The top presidential aide, who was flown to Lagos in an air ambulance; was in high spirit and was not showing any symptoms associated with the virus.

Further, he disclosed that he had been working from home; expressing hope to return to work soon.

He had said: “I am writing to let you know that on medical advice; I will transfer to Lagos later today for additional tests and observation. This is a precautionary measure: I feel well, but last week, I tested positive for coronavirus; the pandemic that is sweeping the world. I have followed all the protocols government has announced to self-isolate and quarantine.

”I have made my own care arrangements to avoid further burdening the public health system; which faces so many pressures. Like many others that will test also positive, I have not experienced high fever or other symptoms associated with this new virus; and have been working from home. I hope to be back at my desk very soon.”

About The Author

Epicurean. Wordsmith... [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.