Adamu: Education Minister reveals 6.9m out-of-school children across Nigeria

Adamu: Education Minister reveals 6.9m out-of-school children across Nigeria

The Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, said that the number of out-of-school children has reduced from 10.1million in 2019 to 6.95 million in 2020.

Adamu, who spoke at the 2020 Annual Ministerial briefing in Abuja on Thursday, January 21, said that the reduction was through the Federal Government’s Better Education Service Delivery for All (BESDA) initiative.

The minister said that the BESDA initiative in 17 states had been responsible for an additional enrolment of 1,053,422 children

He said that the ministry was working closely with the National Association of Proprietors and School Owners of Nigeria to reduce the number of out-of-school children.

He said that the association had taken over one million out-of-school children off the street; with each private school sponsoring five pupils.

“Under the initiative of BESDA, the Federal Government secured a World Bank credit facility of 611million dollars; to support 17 states in strengthening the Universal Basic Education.

Also Read: Buhari re-appoints Hadiza Usman as NPA DG, announces other board members

“The facility will also address the first pillar of the Ministerial Strategic Plan (MSP) on out-of-school children.

“So far, we have launched BESDA in 10 states namely: Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Ebonyi, Kano, Oyo, Yobe, Niger, and Zamfara States.

“As of today, we have recorded impressive school enrolment figures in 17 states of the federation where BESDA is being implemented.

“I can, however, tell you that through the BESDA initiative; we have reduced the figure of out-of-school children from 10.1 million since May 2020 to 6,946,328 million,” he said.

Adamu added that the adolescent girl initiative for learning and empowerment; was also supported by the World Bank to deal with the challenges posed by adolescent girls; who were out-of-school or had never been in school.

He said that a World Bank facility of 500 million dollars had been secured to ensure that these girls were taken off the street, trained, and financially empowered to enable them to live normal and quality lives.

On adult illiteracy, the minister noted that attention was given to the mass literacy sub-sector in the last year.

“In 2019, we were able to lift one million Nigerians off shelve of adult illiterates; and 900,000 have been taken off that bracket in 2020.

“In the last two years, 1,900,000 illiterates have been able to read and write in English; or the three Nigerians languages through this effort. Our target of one million cannot be reached due to COVID-19.

“We are working on an instrument that will also make it an offence; for any adult illiterate not to undertake any form of learning. Today’s illiterates will breed tomorrow’s out-of-school children,” he said.

 

About The Author

A writer with a keen interest in human stories and topical issues around the world. [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *