* African presidents congratulate Buhari * Fayose commends courage of Nigerians, as Buhari wins election

* African presidents congratulate Buhari                     * Fayose commends courage of Nigerians, as Buhari wins election

 

SABINEWS EVENING NEWS UPDATE -FEBRUARY 27, 2019

 

African presidents congratulate Buhari

Nigeria President Muhammadu Buhari has been congratulated on his re-election for the second term by three African presidents, President Nana Koffi-Addo of Ghana, Mahamadou Issoufou of Niger, and Macky Sall of Senegal, who himself just won re-election for a second term. Special Adviser to the President on Media & Publicity, Femi Adesina made this known in a statement. In the statement, Adesina disclosed that the presidents from the West African sub-region congratulated the president, wishing him greater exploits after he was declared a winner.

Fayose commends courage of Nigerians, as Buhari wins election

Former governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose, has said that Nigerians were the ones who deserved to be praised for the courage they exhibited during the February 23rd presidential and National Assembly elections. Fayose said this in a statement on Wednesday, issued by his media aide, Lere Olayinka. He said, “Rather than a word of congratulation to President Buhari, who will be leading our country against our wish as a nation, Nigerians are the ones who deserve to be praised for their courage.”

Don’t go to election tribunal, Agbakoba advises Atiku

A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr. Olisa Agbakoba, has urged the presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party in last Saturday’s election, Atiku Abubakar, not to approach the court because of his loss. Atiku lost the presidential election to incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari of the All Progressives Congress in a keenly fought contest. Buhari had polled 15,191,847 votes, ahead of Atiku’s 11,262,978, to be declared the winner of the election by the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu. However, Atiku rejected the presidential election outcome on Wednesday, saying he would challenge it in court. He said the election was not free or fair, and that it was full of many irregularities.

MASSOB warns attacks on Igbo won’t be tolerated again in Nigeria

The Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) has condemned the attack on Ndigbo in Lagos State, warning that it would no longer tolerate such barbaric and uncivilised action against Ndigbo again in any part of Nigeria. The MASSOB National Director on information, Comr. Edeson Samuel, stated this in a statement on Tuesday in Enugu. It described the attack as unfortunate, noting that the people they had thought share the same political predicament with Ndigbo in Nigeria have turned against them in Lagos. “The attack on Ndigbo in Lagos because they exercised their civic rights is irresponsible, insensitive and should be condemned.

“MASSOB blamed this politically and tribally sponsored attack on Ndigbo in Lagos on … and his APC political thugs. MASSOB reminds Ndigbo in Lagos to be vigilant and defend themselves with every material resource available to them.

We won’t repeat past mistakes, says Senate spokesman

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Senator Sabi Abdullahi, says the Senate has learnt from its mistakes and the incoming ninth Senate will not repeat the errors of the past. Abdullahi, who represents Niger-North District, said this during an interview on NTA on Wednesday shortly after President Muhammadu Buhari received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission. The lawmaker admitted that the current Senate had some issues with the ruling All Progressives Congress and the executive arm of government. So far, the APC has won over 60 seats out of the 109 seats.

Alleged birth certificate forgery: Court decides Wike’s fate March 8

Justice Inyang Ekwo of the Abuja division of the Federal High Court will on March 8, 2019, deliver judgment on the suit seeking to disqualify Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State from contesting 2019 governorship election. The suit which was filed last year by a Rivers State indigene, Elvis Chinda, is seeking the court’s interpretation of certain provisions of the Electoral Act which deal with the presentation of a forged document to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) by an aspirant seeking clearance to contest an election. The judge fixed the date for judgement after the plaintiff’s counsel, Achinike William- Wobodo, INEC lawyer, Wale Ajayi, and Governor Wike and PDP lawyer, Ferdinand Orbih, adopted their addresses and adumbrated on their respective positions on the matter.

Shehu Sani, APC senator-elect trade words over poll verdict

The member representing Kaduna Central Senatorial District in the National Assembly, Senator Shehu Sani, on Wednesda, described the parliamentary elections held in Kaduna State on Saturday as “a charade and a fraud.” Sani, who contested the elections on the platform of the People’s Redemption Party, said in a statement he issued in Kaduna that the polls were “characterised by ballot stuffing, thumb-printing, over-voting, outright falsification of result and vote allocation.” He said, “In over 85 per cent of the polling units, the card readers failed and there was no due process in the use of the permanent voter cards. Bandits also ravaged Birnin Gwari, Giwa, Igabi and other rural locations. Figures were simply added to result sheets.

NLC to shut down Ogun over ‘anti-worker decisions’

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) is to move against Governor Ibikunle Amosun in Ogun State over what it termed “anti-worker actions of the government.”Tagged “Operation Occupy Ogun State” and scheduled for this Friday, the protest is to be led by the union’s national president, Comrade Ayuba Wabba. In a letter dated February 20, 2019 and addressed to the governor, Wabba hinted that the action would keep the state locked down until the workers’ demands are met. One of the grievances contained in the correspondence obtained yesterday by The Guardian includes “backlog of salary deductions and gratuity.Others are alleged failure by the government to reinstate the state chairman of the congress, Akeem Ambali, and “the plight of workers of the Tai Solarin College of Education, Omu-Ijebu.”

Tea, bread, bean-cake sellers in Yola give delicacies for free to celebrate Buhari’s victory

Tea and bread sellers on Wednesday in Yola treated ‘almajiri ‘ pupils to a free breakfast as part of activities to celebrate the re-election of President Muhammadu Buhari of the APC. A News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) correspondent who went round the town, reports seeing the pupils queuing up in different tea and bread selling spots, most of them beaming with smiles while waiting for their turn to collect their share. One of the sellers, Umaru Ali, told NAN that their joy knew no bound, adding that their gesture was aimed at ensuring the participation of the less privileged in the celebration.

Why it’s good for the west that Iran’s foreign minister isn’t resigning

Dagres is editor of the Atlantic Council’s IranSource blog, and a nonresident fellow with the Middle East Security Initiative in the Scowcroft Center for Strategy and Security. She also curates The Iranist newsletter. Follow her on Twitter: @hdagres. The Instagram post came at midnight, Tehran time. “I sincerely apologize for the incapacity to continue serving and all the shortcomings during the service,” Iran’s foreign minister wrote in Persian on Monday. “Be happy and proud.” The reasons why were unclear, though he later said he hoped to allow his ministry to reclaim its “proper statutory role.”

Samsung: Our new superfast flash memory doubles smartphone storage speeds

Samsung has kicked off mass production of its new super-fast 512GB eUFS 3.0 chips and says it will launch 1TB versions later this year. The chip will be the industry’s first 512GB embedded Universal Flash Storage (eUFS) 3.0 for mobile devices, which is twice as fast as eUFS 2.1.  Samsung debuted its 512GB eUFS storage chips in 2017, which offered double the capacity of its 2016 eUFS, and quadruple the capacity of its first eUFS 2.0 chips in 2015.  The key difference with the 512GB eUFS 3.0 chip is the speed enhancement, offering a sequential read rate of 2,100 megabytes per second (MB/s), or double what was available with eUFS 2.1.

Polestar unveils its all-electric response to the Tesla Model 3

Volvo’s standalone electric performance brand Polestar  introduced Wednesday its first all-electric vehicle — a five-door fastback that is gunning for the Tesla Model 3. In the past few years, every time an electric vehicle — concept, prototype, or production version — has been unveiled, the term “Tesla killer” has been tossed about regardless of whether that car will ever even come to market. In the case of Polestar 2, it’s unclear if it will be the “Tesla killer.” It’s possible that an entirely new group of customers will be attracted to the vehicle. What is clear: the Polestar 2 was designed to compete with the Tesla Model 3 in the U.S., Europe and China.

About The Author

Osigweh Lilian Oluchi is a graduate of the University of Lagos where she obtained a B.A (Hons) in English, Masters in Public and International affairs (MPIA). Currently works with 1stnews as a Database Manager / Writer. [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.