Ahead of the 2019 elections, the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Thursday appointed Amina Zakari as its head of Collation centre.
It was garnered that Zakari who was once the agency’s Director of Operations will be responsible for the announcement of the presidential election’s result.
Here are things to know about the INEC officer:
- Amina Bala Zakari was the former Acting Chairman of INEC. Her appointment took effect from the directive of the President Muhammadu Buhari following the expiration of the tenure of her predecessor, Attahiru Jega on July 30, 2015.
- Zakari completed her elementary education at Shekara Girls Primary School, Kano in 1971 and had her secondary education at Queens College, Lagos.
- The former INEC boss once served as Special Assistant to the President from 2004 to 2007. She was former National Electoral Commissioner at INEC. She had also chaired the Inter-Party Advisory Council (IPAC) of INEC.
- She was the first woman to be appointed to the position of the leadership of INEC was replaced with Mahmood Yakubu.
- She holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy with Second Class Upper, the best graduating student, in 1980 from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
- She is a princess of the Kazaure Emirate of Jigawa State. She was born on June 23, 1960, to the late Emir of Kazaure, Hussaini Adamu.
- She was the Senior Consultant/Chief Pharmacist working on PTF-funded health projects across Nigeria.
- She was chairman of the INEC Planning Monitoring and Strategy Committee, effective November 2014.
- Zakari is a widow with five children, who lost her husband in December 2000. Her late husband, Bala Zakari Kazaure, Santurakin Kazaure, a career banker and economist was an executive officer at Union Bank PLC prior to his death.