SABINEWS MORNING NEWS UPDATE – JANUARY 6, 2019
BOKO HARAM: SHETTIMA SOLELY FUNDS 20,000 CIVILIAN JTF FIGHTERS
Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima has been solely funding over 20,000 civilian JTF fighters since 2013.
His Special Adviser on Communication and Strategy Isa Gusau stated this in an interview with Arise TV monitored in Lagos.
Gusau noted the contributions of the more over 20,000 volunteers of the Civilian JTF has been overwhelming in the fight against Boko Haram, which he said is widely “acknowledged by the military, all other security stakeholders, past and incumbent federal administrations as well as residents of Borno State”.
According to him: “Civilian JTF play crucial roles in intelligence gathering, easy identification and arrest of suspected insurgents and supporting the military in the war fronts.”
SENATE CRISIS: WE’VE AGREED ON CEASEFIRE – NDUME
Members of the 8th Senate have agreed to put aside their differences and work in harmony for the progress of Nigeria, former Majority Leader, Alhaji Ali Ndume, (APC-Borno South), said yesterday.
Ndume spoke with State House correspondents after leading the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate for Taraba State ,Mr. Sani Danladi, to a closed door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa,Abuja.
He said that Nigerians had been supportive of the National Assembly and expected so much from it, but regretted that leadership crisis made the 8th Senate to perform below the expectations of Nigerians.
NEW MINIMUM WAGE: WHAT FG DISCUSSED WITH NLC, TUC
The Federal Government has said it will continue negotiation with the Organise Labour on Monday to prevent the threat of strike over non transmission of the New National Minimum Wage bill to the National Assembly.
Sen. Chris Ngige, Minister of Labour and Employment said this after meeting with the labour leaders on Friday in Abuja.
I WON’T SIDELINE COMMUNITIES THAT VOTED AGAINST ME – FAYEMI
Ekiti State Governor Kayode Fayemi has promised not to deny communities and towns that voted against him at the last governorship election of projects that will make life easier for them.
He assured his administration will ensure developmental projects reach all nooks and crannies of the state irrespective of how they voted during the July 14, 2018 poll.
Fayemi spoke on Saturday during a meeting with chairmen and
secretaries of all Community Development Associations (CDAs) and town unions at Ekiti Parapo Pavilion, new Iyin Road, Ado-Ekiti, the state capital.
EDO PDP STALWART DEFECTS TO APC
Mr Godwin Esheshi, a former People’s Democratic Party (PDP) stalwart in Etsako East Local Government Area of Edo, has defected to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
SYRIAN KURDS DENY TRUMP’S CLAIMS THEY SELL OIL TO IRAN
Salih Muslim, the former co-chairman of the Democratic Union Party (PYD), denied claims made by US President Donald Trump that Syrian Kurds have sold oil to Iran.
During a cabinet meeting on Wednesday, Trump said he was not happy that the Kurds are selling oil to Iran. “I didn’t like the fact that [the Kurds] are selling the small oil that they have to Iran, and we asked them not to do it,” the US president stated.
It was not entirely clear whether Trump was referring to the Syrian Kurds or the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) in Iraq.
FEDERAL WORKERS BEGIN TO FEEL THE BITE OF TRUMP’S SHUTDOWN
As thousands of furloughed federal employees worry about when their next paycheck will arrive, their bills are piling up.
As of Saturday, the federal government has been shut down for two weeks – a full pay cycle for federal workers, reports The New York Times.
If it continues through Monday, it will become the longest shutdown in United States history, the Times said.
“They have to realize that this affects everyday people,” said Ray Coleman Jr. about politicians hoping to strike a deal with President Donald Trump. Coleman is a corrections officer at a Florida federal prison and a union president. “It affects the boots on the ground. To me, it’s like a political chess game that they’re playing, and we seem to be pawns.”
CESC FABREGAS MAKES MONACO ADMISSION AFTER TEARS: EVERYONE KNOWS
The midfielder bid a tearful farewell to Stamford Bridge in the Blues’ 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup third round.
The 31-year-old was named captain by manager Maurizio Sarri and was visibly emotional when he was substituted with five minutes to go.
ARNAUTOVIC ANGRY AT BEING TAKEN OFF BY WEST HAM BOSS
Manuel Pellegrini admitted Marko Arnautovic was “angry” at being substituted during West Ham’s 2-0 FA Cup win over Birmingham.
Arnautovic opened the scoring after just two minutes but looked stunned to be taken off by Pellegrini in the 20th minute.
Hammers boss Pellegrini said the Austria forward had indicated that he had hurt his back and was replaced as a precaution.
Yet in bizarre scenes, Arnautovic continually shrugged ‘why’ as he trudged off, had a lively discussion with Pellegrini on the touchline and stopped in front of the bench to question the medical team before disappearing down the tunnel.
However, Pellegrini said: “It’s not very important because we won the game and he scored a goal.