Chris Rock turns down offer to host 2023 Oscars

Chris Rock turns down offer to host 2023 Oscars

Chris Rock, American comedian and actor, has turned down the offer to be the Master of Ceremony for the 2023 Oscars after the organizers contacted him.

The 57-year-old director said accepting the invitation would be like going back to the site of a crime.

This is following what happened at the Oscars this year when fellow American actor, Will Smith, slapped him. He apparently made an allusion to the murder trial of O.J. Simpson, whose ex-wife was killed after leaving glasses at an Italian restaurant. Rock said returning to the Oscars would be like asking Nicole Brown Simpson “to go back to the restaurant.”

Equally important, Chris Rock made the public statement at Arizona Financial Theatre in downtown Phoenix last night. Also, he said he had been offered a Super Bowl commercial, but declined that as well.

Meanwhile, Chris Rock has hosted the Oscars twice, in 2015 and 2016. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has not commented on Rock’s comments.

Read more: Data chaos to productive intelligence  Chris Uwaje

Recall that Smith walked onstage and slapped Rock on the face at the 94th Academy Awards on March 27, 2022. Then, he returned to his seat and shouted at Rock to not say his wife’s name. Rock made a joke about Smith’s wife Jada Pinkett’s bald head, which sparked Smith’s response. He was apparently unaware that Pinkett Smith has alopecia, which caused sudden hair loss.

In response, the organisers banned Smith from attending the Oscars and Academy events for the next 10 years.

About The Author

Skilled communication expert and tech whiz. Highly passionate about social transformation and quality education.

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.