New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has been targeted with vile death threats following the Christchurch mosque terrorist attack.
Police are investigating at least two threats made against her life on social media.
An image of a gun was tweeted to Ardern along with the caption, ‘you are next’; another post – of the same image – was made to the Prime Minister and the police saying ‘next it’s you’.
The first post is understood to have stayed online for more than 48 hours before Twitter deleted the account at around 4 pm on Friday.
A Twitter spokesperson said it took swift action after it received the first report – even though the account had been active for some time and had plenty of anti-Islamic, white supremacist hate speech posts.
“Our teams continue to work proactively to remove violative and illegal content from the service in relation to the Christchurch attack,” they told the press.
“We also continue to cooperate with law enforcement to facilitate their investigations as required.”
A spokesperson for the prime minister’s office noted Twitter ‘seems to have algorithms for everything else and they owe the public a duty of care.’
“We took action shortly after we received the first report on this Tweet, and our teams continue to work proactively to remove violative and illegal content from the service in relation to the Christchurch attack.
“We also continue to cooperate with law enforcement to facilitate their investigations as required.
“We strongly encourage people on Twitter to report violative and illegal content so we can take action.
“Retweeting or sharing screenshots of this type of content only serves to spread it further and gives it more visibility to more people.”
Police have been made aware of the tweets and are making investigating.
The mass shooting at the Al Noor and Linwood Masjid mosques – which claimed the lives of 50 people – was live-streamed across social media.