Coronavirus finally hits Africa as Egypt confirms first case

Coronavirus finally hits Africa as Egypt confirms first case

The dreaded Coronavirus has finally hit Africa. Egypt became the first African country to confirm its first coronavirus case. This was disclosed by the Egyptian Health Ministry on Friday, February 14, 2020.

Meanwhile, Egyptian authorities revealed that the affected person was a foreigner. Further, it disclosed that he had been put into isolation in hospital.

Equally important, the Egyptian Health Ministry said in a statement it had immediately informed the World Health Organization (WHO). In addition, it affirmed that it had taken all necessary preventative measures. Egypt did not give the nationality of the affected person, or any other details.

Also, the WHO Egypt said on Twitter the person was carrying the virus. However, it also disclosed that the person had not shown any symptoms and was in a stable condition.

ALSO READ: Coronavirus: Anxiety as Nigeria assesses two suspected cases of dreaded virus

Meanwhile, 1st News reports that the coronavirus which broke out in the Chinese city of Wuhan, has emerged a global concern.

Coronavirus

China announces self-quarantine to check coronavirus spread

Renamed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization (WHO);  the death toll from the disease has now surged past 1,500. More than two dozen countries have confirmed cases and several nations have suspended trade and travel links with China; all in a bid to contain the spread of the virus. Also, three deaths have been recorded outside mainland China; one in Hong Kong, one in the Philippines, and the most recent in Japan.

Also, Beijing has ordered everyone returning to the city to go into quarantine for 14 days; or risk punishment in the latest attempt to contain the deadly new coronavirus.

Residents were told to “self-quarantine or go to designated venues to quarantine” after returning to the Chinese capital from holidays.

The measure came as Egypt confirmed the first coronavirus case in Africa.

Over 1,500 people have died from the virus, which originated in Wuhan city.

The notice on Friday from Beijing’s virus prevention working group was issued as residents returned from spending the Lunar New Year in other parts of China.

The holiday was extended this year to help contain the outbreak.

More than 20 million people live in Beijing.

Gideon Ayogu

EDITOR at 1ST NEWS
Epicurean. Wordsmith...

Gideon.Ayogu@1stnews.com
Gideon Ayogu

About The Author

Epicurean. Wordsmith... Gideon.Ayogu@1stnews.com

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *