COVID-19: Americans at WHO claim they told Trump administration about virus late last year  

COVID-19: Americans at WHO claim they told Trump administration about virus late last year   

A dozen of Americans working at the World Health Organisation, WHO, said they provided “real-time” information about the emerging coronavirus to the White House late last year.

According to The Washington Post, it seemed to undercut President Trump’s accusations that the WHO failed to communicate the extent of the disease’s threat.

The news medium reported on Sunday that U.S. physicians, researchers and public health experts⁠; connected to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention⁠; were working at WHO’s Geneva headquarters as part of a years-long rotation; and they provided information about the coronavirus to the White House as it emerged late last year.

 

READ ALSO: Piers Morgan blasts Donald Trump over shoddy handling of COVID-19 crisis (Video)

 

CDC officials said they were consulting with their WHO counterparts since the outbreak began; with sensitive information shared with U.S. officials.

The WHO often told CDC about its plans or announcements days in advance; citing an unnamed CDC official.

 

WHO

 

Trump earlier blamed WHO for delays in response to the virus; as well as a lack of transparency, but an April 11 New York Times report said warnings issued to the administration by different parts of the federal government in January and February were ignored.

 

READ ALSO: Coronavirus: Trump threatens consequences for China if pandemic started deliberately

 

Three days after the Times report, Trump announced a hold on $500 million; in funding from the U.S. to the WHO, a move that Democrats say is illegal.

China on Friday revised its death toll by 50% in Wuhan, where the virus was first detected, and Trump has accused the WHO of having “pushed China’s misinformation about the virus.”

As U.S. cases of COVID-19 soar past 730,000 and the White House undergoes criticism for slow response and ramp up testing; Trump has accused state governors, the news media and former President Barack Obama⁠; along with the WHO⁠—for being responsible for the growing number of infections.

About The Author

Humanitarian reporter, writer and author 1stnews.com [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.