The Federal Government on Tuesday, August 4, warned that a second wave of the deadly COVID-19 disease will destroy the economy and cause many deaths.
This was contained in a statement issued by the National Coordinator, Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Sani Aliyu.
Aliyu urged businesses that are reopening to practice COVID-19 sensitive business precautionary measures.
According to him, certain countries around the world are now going back into lockdown mode because they are experiencing a second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
He said: “Specifically, we urge businesses that are reopening to align themselves to our efforts by establishing and practicing COVID-19 sensitive business precautionary measures.
“We eventually have to reopen, but we can only do so if we reopen safely. It’s quite clear, as we can see from the other parts of the world that certain countries are now going back into lockdown state; because of the pandemic coming back again, otherwise called recrudescence or what we call a second wave.”
“We really cannot afford to have this happening in this country. It’ll destroy our economy and it will lead to a lot of deaths. Therefore, we‘ve to reopen safely; we cannot risk another shutdown nor can we risk more lives being lost.”
“The PTF will continue to provide data-driven and scientific advisories that could protect the nation from the pandemic. So far, our data analysis shows that most Nigerians continue to be in denial of the dangerous nature of this virus.
“As our airspace and various sectors are opening up; it’s really very easy to forget and be fooled into complacency, but we really shouldn’t,” he concluded.
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday, August 4, issued an ultimatum to the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC); till the end of the week to pay the beneficiaries of the commission’s scholarship.
This stance by the president was revealed by Charles Odili, NDDC director of corporate affairs.
Odili mentioned this after delivering the NDDC management’s invitation to the president; to inaugurate the 29-kilometer Ogbia-Nembe Road in Bayelsa state.
1st News had reported that the students recently protested the failure of the NDDC to pay their tuition; and other promised fees for them.
The beneficiaries again protested on Monday in the United Kingdom at Nigerian high commission in London; to express displeasure over “negligence of their welfare”.
According to the students, the NDDC stopped paying their tuition; and allowances one year after they were awarded the scholarship.
In a statement, Odili said scholars of the commission; “who are facing hardships abroad” because of the non-remittance of their fees; and stipends would be paid by the end of the week following the order of Buhari.