#EndSARS: Lawyer set to tender CNN report on Lekki incident before Lagos Judicial Panel

#EndSARS: Lawyer set to tender CNN report on Lekki incident before Lagos Judicial Panel

A counsel representing some #EndSARS protesters, Mr Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika (SAN), on Sunday, November 22, revealed his team is mulling tendering an investigative report by the Cable News Network to the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry.

This report is with respect to the alleged killing of #EndSARS protesters; by soldiers on the night of October 20 at the Lekki tollgate.

CNN, in its investigative report titled, ‘How a bloody night of bullets and brutality quashed a young protest movement in Nigeria,’ implicated the Nigerian Army for the extrajudicial killing of peaceful protesters.

While the Nigerian Army had consistently maintained that its troops who engaged the #EndSARS protesters only fired blank bullets into the air, the CNN report suggested that live bullets were used; and that some of the protesters were indeed killed in the operation.

Also Read: Magu: CCB to prosecute former EFCC Chairman over non-declaration of accounts

Also, the Federal Government has condemned the CNN investigative report; but the media house said it stood by its report.

Olumide-Fusika, who is representing some protesters before the probe panel; had said that some of his clients claimed to have suffered gunshot injuries at the tollgate.

Asked on Sunday if he was considering tendering the CNN investigative report to the panel; Olumide-Fusika told our correspondent that, “We’re considering it.”

Furthermore, he questioned the decision of the army to tender a report by the British Broadcasting Corporation on the incident to the panel.

“You presented only the BBC report because the report was palatable to you; you didn’t present Aljazeera and Deutsche Welle reports; because they were not palatable to you,” Olumide-Fusika questioned Brig-Gen Ahmed Taiwo.

Meanwhile, the management of Mainland Hospital in Lagos, on Sunday, November 22, revealed it had been mandated by the state Ministry of Health; not to release bodies of people who died during #EndSARS protests.

Medical Director of Lagos Mainland Hospital, Dr. Abimbola Bowale, confirmed the directive during an interview.

“It is only the commissioner (of health) or even Mr. Governor that can release the body to you, Sir. So, you will have to contact him,” he said.

About The Author

A writer with a keen interest in human stories and topical issues around the world. [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *