1st News reports that thugs allegedly sponsored by the Federal Government attacked the #EndSARS protesters in Abuja, on Wednesday, October 14, injuring many of them and disrupting their peaceful rally.
The thugs, who stormed the venue around 1 pm on Wednesday, reportedly fired gunshots in the air before chasing away the #EndSARS campaigners.
Earlier in the day, the #EndSARS protesters had blocked the Julius Berger roundabout, Wuse, with disused tyres and stones, and also prevented motorists from plying the route as they occupied the bridge.
They were singing solidarity songs when their attackers suddenly appeared and assaulted them.
The attackers, who were speaking the Hausa language, also vandalised about five cars parked in the vicinity.
However, no life was lost as the police took control of the situation; while the injured were taken to the hospital.
This comes after an assault on an Arise TV cameraman at the Three Arms Zone by soldiers on Tuesday.
When contacted, the Federal Capital Territory police spokesperson, ASP Mariam Yusuf; promised to find out and report back.
Meanwhile, despite nationwide agitation against the Special Anti-Robbery Squad; supporters of SARS under the aegis of Coalition of Civil Society Organisations on Tuesday took to the streets; to support efforts of the police in ridding the country of crimes.
The organisation warned that the continuous protests against the SARS operatives were aimed at bringing down the government.
Also, the Chief Convener of COCSO, Olayemi Success, and Co-Convener, Kabiru Dallah, told journalists that the Anti-SARS protesters were being sponsored by internet fraudsters.
The group said, “This solidarity march is very important to boost the morale of the policemen and women; for them to know that well-meaning Nigerians appreciate their sacrifices in securing Nigeria; we are convinced that Police is our friend and everyone that sees police as enemies are suspects.”