Facebook has blocked President Trump from posting on the site for 24 hours, the company said Wednesday evening.
The decision comes after the company already removed posts; ones he made in support of the pro-Trump mob; that attacked the US Capitol on Wednesday.
“We’ve assessed two policy violations against President Trump’s Page which will result in a 24-hour feature block; meaning he will lose the ability to post on the platform during that time,” the statement reads.
Trump’s account on Facebook-owned Instagram will also be locked for 24 hours; Instagram head Adam Mosseri confirmed.
Earlier on Wednesday, Facebook removed a video posted; hours after the attack began where Trump called on protestors; to “go home” and likewise stated falsely that “we had an election that was stolen from us.”
The company also removed a text post; asking his supporters to “remember this day forever!”
Also, Twitter restricted Trump on its platform, locking his account for 12 hours; after removing three tweets that the company said were “severe violations” of its policies.
Meanwhile, the chaos in the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday unfolded after President Donald Trump spent weeks whipping up his supporters; with false allegations of fraud in the November 3 election, culminating in a call to march to the building that represents U.S. democracy.
Specifically, Trump, who has refused to concede that he lost to Democratic President-elect Joe Biden, had urged his supporters; multiple times to come to Washington for a rally on Wednesday, the day the U.S. House of Representatives; and Senate were scheduled to certify the results of the Electoral College.