President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Maj.-Gen. Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff.
The Acting Director, Defence Information, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu announced the appointment of Farouk Yahaya in a statement on Thursday, May 27, in Abuja.
“The Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Major General Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff.
“Prior to his appointment Major General Yahaya was the General Officer Commanding 1 Division of the Nigerian Army and the incumbent Theatre Commander of the Counter-Terrorism Counter Insurgency military outfit in the North East code-named Operation HADIN KAI,” the statement reads.
Here are some facts you probably did not know about Farouk Yahaya:
- The new Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Farouk Yahaya, a major general, was born on January 5, 1966, in Sifawa, Bodinga Local Government Area of Sokoto state.
- Mr Yahaya, who is a member of the 37 Regular Course of the prestigious Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA), started his cadet training on September 27, 1985, and was commissioned into the Nigerian Army Infantry Corps on September 22, 1990.
- Farouk Yahaya has held several appointments including Staff, Instructional and Command.
- Notable among the appointments held by the new COAS are Garrison Commander Headquarters Guards Brigade, Directing Staff at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College (AFCSC), Deputy Director Army Headquarters Department of Military Secretary, Deputy Director Army Research and Development and the Chief of Staff, Headquarters Joint Task Force Operation Pulo Shield.
- He also served as the Principal General Staff Officer (PGSO) to the Honourable Minister of Defence, the Commander, Headquarters 4 Brigade and 29 Task Force Brigade (Operation Zaman Lafiya).
- He was also Director Manpower at the Army Headquarters, Military Secretary, Army Headquarters and General Officer Commanding (GOC) 1 Division of the Nigerian Army.
- Until his appointment as the COAS, Mr Yahaya was the Theatre Commander Operation HADIN KAI; responsible for Counter-Terrorism and Counter-Insurgency operations in North-East Nigeria.
- The new COAS is a proud holder of several honours and awards, some of which include, Forces Service Star; Meritorious Service Star; Distinguished Service Star; Grand Service Star; Passed staff course (Dagger); National Defence Course (Chile); Economic Community of West Africa State Monitoring Group Medal; Command Medal, Field Command Medal; General Operations Medal; Silver Jubilee Medal; and Golden Jubilee Medal.
- He is happily married and blessed with children.