A sprawling building harbouring foodstuff shops within Cable Point Quarters, popularly called “Cable Point Market” in Asaba, Delta State, was yesterday razed by fire outbreak suspected to be due to electrical fault.
An Eyewitness, Iyabo Mushin, said the fire which gutted the entrance to the building, started around 2am, and it was neighbouring house owners who alerted the authorities to it. It was gathered that three persons who attempted to put out the fire sustained various degrees of injuries, as the fire was beyond what they could tackle.
Residents said they have been taken to a private hospital where they are currently receiving treatment. An elderly man who witnessed the fire, Mr. Ogbueshi Joseph Nwandu, blamed the fire on poor electrical connection, adding the victims were lucky to have escaped death. Investigation revealed that in the past few weeks, residents of Cable Point Quarters have been apprehensive, following the continuous sparks of cables on the electric poles in the areas whenever there was power supply. Read more