Guinea: Opposition candidates reject presidential results amidst electoral violence

Guinea: Opposition candidates reject presidential results amidst electoral violence

Protests against President of Guinea, Alpha Conde will resume next week; after the 10 losing candidates in the country’s election rejected the official outcome on Friday, October 30.

This was contained in a statement issued at a news conference in the capital Conakry; where losing candidate Makale Traore pointed to “serious irregularities recorded before, during, and after the vote;” including “substitutions and falsifications” of the results.

“The participants decided to categorically reject the provisional results,” she said, referring to the group of 10 losing candidates in the report filed by AFP.

Alpha Conde, 82, won a hotly-contested October 18 election in Guinea, according to provisional official results announced last week; setting the stage for a controversial third term in office.

Also Read: Buildings collapse, 26 dead, as major quake hits Turkey, Greece

But Guinea’s main opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo, 68, had already claimed victory, citing data his activists gathered at individual polling stations.

The move triggered lethal clashes between opposition supporters as well as security forces across the West African nation of 13 million people. Regional leaders also sent envoys to mediate between Conde and Diallo.

Twenty-one people died in the post-election violence, the government said.

Diallo, who was at the conference, told reporters on Friday that “more than 30” people had died.

He added that anti-Conde protests — which have wracked the country on and off for months — would resume on Tuesday after he had filed an appeal against the election results to the constitutional court; which still has to sign off on the official tally.

“We will resume peaceful demonstrations in the streets; as well as public squares to denounce the ongoing electoral hold-up; and demand recognition of our victory,” he said.

The European Union, United States, and the former colonial power France all released statements this week expressing concern about the vote-counting process.

Traore told reporters that each member of the group of 10 losing candidates would file appeals.

Alluding to suspicion about the court’s independence; she urged judges to only examine the legal basis of their pleas; “to avoid endangering the social peace and stability of Guinea.”

Twelve candidates in total contested the election, including Conde and Diallo.

Laye Souleymane Diallo is the only losing candidate who has recognised President Conde’s election victory, said Aliou Conde, the secretary-general of Cellou Dalein Diallo’s UFDG party.

Conde’s RPG party, as well as its allies in the national assembly; welcomed opposition candidates’ appeals to the constitutional court in a statement Friday; explaining that it is “the only competent court in this matter.”

About The Author

A writer with a keen interest in human stories and topical issues around the world. [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *