INEC dispels report of mass resignation of staff due to IPOB mandate

INEC dispels report of mass resignation of staff due to IPOB mandate

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has clarified that it has adequate manpower for the conduct of the Nov. 6 governorship election in Anambra.

Dr Nwachukwu Orji, INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner in Anambra State disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Tuesday, October 26, in Awka.

Orji who was reacting to viral media report that hundreds of Adhoc workers recruited for the Anambra election resigned en-masse, said there was no truth in the publication.

“INEC is still in the process of recruiting the Adhoc workers, in fact, we just finished the last training before this false report.

“As the head of the commission in Anambra, I am telling you authoritatively that we have more than enough manpower for the conduct of the forthcoming governorship election in Anambra”, he said.

The INEC official explained that none of the Adhoc workers being recruited had been given an engagement letter.

“If we have not issued letters to them, how then can any of them resign?” he wondered.

Orji said it was unfair for the mass media to be aiding publications capable of causing more tension in the polity.

He said that a lot of people in the country were looking for work to do so as to improve their lives, adding that it was bad to publish stories capable of frightening the poor masses.

Also Read: Moghalu tags Nigeria ‘crime scene of insincerity, corruption’

“Taking INEC jobs during elections has been one means for people who do not have permanent jobs to earn little money.

“Publishing negative report that will scare them is so bad,” Orji said.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has alleged that fake news will be the cause of World War III.

Lai Mohammed stated this while making an appearance before the House of Representatives Committee on Information, National Orientation, Ethics, and Values to defend his ministry’s 2022 budget allocation on Monday, October 25.

According to him, the means of receiving information has changed over the decades, as 30 years ago it was through television and radio sets.

But now, the Minister noted that people prefer to patronise social media where fake news is easily spread.

“The people today, they don’t read newspapers and don’t watch television — it’s social media. And it is most expensive; the most unseen enemy, they are there every moment.

“I have always said here that the next world war will be caused by fake news.

“You can see even the US that use to pride itself on the freedom of the press is now questioning the role of the social media,” Lai Mohammed said.

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.