International Men’s Day is celebrated every year on November 19.
The day is observed to commemorate the achievements and contributions of men; and boys to the nation; society; community; family; as well as marriage; and also childcare.
International Men’s Day 2020 theme
This year, International Men’s Day theme is “Better health for men and boys” intending; to make practical improvements to the health as well as wellbeing of the male population.
It was inaugurated in 1992 on February 7 by Thomas Oaster.
In 1999, the event was revived by Jerome Teelucksing.
He chose November 19 to acknowledge his father’s birthday and to celebrate how on that date in 1989; Trinidad and Tobago’s football team had united the country with their efforts to qualify for the World Cup.
In India, the inaugural celebration of the day was organized by the leading Indian Men’s rights organisation named; Indian Family on 19 November 2007.
What does the current research tell about Men’s Scenario in the World?
- Men have a suicide rate 3 times higher than women
- 1 in 3 men have been the victims of domestic violence
- Men on average die 4-5 years before women
- They are nearly twice as likely to suffer from lung cancer than women
- Nearly twice as likely to suffer from heart disease than women
- Promote gender relations and gender equality.
- To focus on discrimination against men in various areas.
- To achieve full potential and also develop a better, safer world.
- Better men’s health and well being in terms of social; emotional; physical; as well as spiritual.
- Promote positive male role models; including working-class men who are honest and also spend a decent life.
- To appreciate and notice men’s positive contributions, sacrifices towards society, community, family, as well as marriage, childcare, and to the environment.
To make a better world and raise awareness of issues that men face globally; International Men’s Day is observed.
It helps in making a positive difference; and shines a spotlight on men.