The Federal Government said on Monday, August 10, explained that no Nigerian was killed in last week’s explosion in Beirut, Lebanon; which killed over 100 people and wounded several others.
This was contained in a statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in a statement titled: “FG commiserates with Lebanon over deadly explosion;” and signed by its spokesman, Ferdinard Nwonye, in Abuja.
While commiserating with the Lebanese government on the incident; the FG stated it is in solidarity with the Middle Eastern nation in the period of grief.
The federal government urged the international community to support the Lebanese government in the rebuilding process.
The statement reads: “The Federal Government of Nigeria wishes to commiserate with the government and people of Lebanon over the August 4, 2020, deadly explosion that occurred in the main seaport in Beirut.
“Also, the Government of Nigeria is in solidarity with the nation of Lebanon in this period of grief; and calls for international support to facilitate the rebuilding process.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs wishes to inform the general public that reports from the Embassy of Nigeria in Beirut; indicate that, so far, there is no reported case of Nigerian nationals among the dead; but the host authorities are still assessing the impact of the damage caused by the massive explosion.”
Meanwhile, the prime minister of Lebanon says he is stepping down from his job; as the entire government quits in the wake of the Beirut port explosion that has triggered public fury and mass protests.
In a brief televised speech, Prime Minister Hassan Diab said this morning that he is taking “a step back;” so he can stand with the people “and fight the battle for change alongside them”.
“I declare today the resignation of this government. May God protect Lebanon,” he said; repeating the last phrase three times.