The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), on Thursday, November 18, refuted reports that it had sacked Super Eagles’ Head Coach, Gernot Rohr.
The name of the Franco-German tactician had prominently featured in both local and international media early on Thursday, with most platforms stating authoritatively that the 68-year old had been given the boot by the NFF, his employer.
However, a statement by NFF Director of Communications, Ademola Olajire, denied the reports of Rohr’s sack as untrue.
The statement quoted the President of the NFF, Amaju Pinnick, as saying that no such decision had been taken.
“The Board of the NFF is studying the report of the Technical Committee; submitted after the match against Cape Verde in Lagos, on Tuesday.
“There are a number of possibilities, but we have not taken a decision to sack Gernot Rohr.
“I want to assure that whatever decision that is eventually taken; will be one that will please the generality of Nigerians,” he said.
Pinnick added that Rohr has a contract with the NFF; which contains a procedure for disengagement.
“If we get to that bridge, both parties will look at the contract; and see what has to be done both ways.
“The Super Eagles’ squad is a national asset and we are just fortunate to be in that space to make decisions.
“Any decision we take must be what will be acceptable to Nigerians from far and near,” he said.