Nigerian Army denies murder of #EndSARS youths in Lekki despite video evidence

Nigerian Army denies murder of #EndSARS youths in Lekki despite video evidence

The Nigerian Army on Wednesday, October 21, denied reports claiming it shot at #EndSARS protesters using live bullets at the Lekki toll gate on Tuesday night.

1st News reported that an unspecified number of people were killed with many injured as the Nigerian Army fired at innocent youths.

Further, this was buttressed by videos depicting men in military uniform shooting at the protesters at the Lekki toll gate plaza, who had told themselves to sit in the ground when they saw the men in military uniforms approaching.

Nonetheless, the Nigerian Army denied the report of involvement on its official Twitter page on Wednesday morning. Equally important, he described the incident reported on various new media as ‘fake news’.

In the statement on Twitter, the Nigerian Army said its soldiers were not at the scene of the incident.

It also denied seizing corpses of victims of the attack.

The Nigerian Army tweeted; “Fake news, no soldiers were at the scene.”

An eyewitness told journalists that the protesters were sitting on the floor when the soldiers arrived in the area. Thereafter, they started shooting sporadically.

Also Read: SERAP hires Falana to defend Twitter boss in $1bn suit

The incident caused pandemonium in the area as protesters scampered to safety

Earlier on Tuesday, at least seven persons were killed and several others injured during a clash between protesting youths and policemen from the Olosan police station in the Mushin area of Lagos.

The injured victims are receiving treatment at the General Hospital in the area.

Suspected hoodlums also razed the Orile Iganmu central police station also on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the United States Mission to Nigeria on Tuesday, October 20, shut down its consulate in Lagos following the #EndSARS protests in the state.

The U.S Mission in Nigeria made this known in a message on its official website on Tuesday; warning its nationals living across the country about the insecurity due to the #EndSARS protests.

The US Government said multiple demonstrations were ongoing across Nigeria; with the notice including areas within the consular districts of Abuja and Lagos. The Embassy said that although most #EndSARS demonstrations were peaceful; some have become violent and had witnessed shutdown of major thoroughfares and bridges.

About The Author

A writer with a keen interest in human stories and topical issues around the world. [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *