Obasa: Lagos Speaker clarifies EFCC invitation, says he ‘has nothing to hide’

Obasa: Lagos Speaker clarifies EFCC invitation, says he ‘has nothing to hide’

Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Mudashiru Obasa on Friday, October 9, revealed that he is a man with integrity; and as such has nothing to hide.

Obasa made this assertion in response to allegations of embezzlement of public funds; as well as abuse of office against him.

These allegations prompted the anti-graft agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to invite him over to its office for questioning.

In a statement after the interrogation by officials of the EFCC in Lagos, Obasa said he decided to honour the invitation of the anti-graft agency as a responsible lawmaker.

Also Read: Pantami pledges distribution of COVID-19 palliatives to rural communities

“The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission invited me today (Thursday). As a responsible citizen and lawmaker, I honoured the invitation. I have nothing to hide,” Obasa said.

“When we are called upon by law-enforcement agents in their investigations; as responsible citizens, it’s our duty to oblige them.”

The second term speaker is now being accused of what he was earlier cleared of in June 2020 by a nine-member panel of the Lagos State Assembly; chaired by Victor Akande, the representative of Ojo Constituency.

Meanwhile, Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has promised stiffer measures; against operators of gas plants; and/or any combustible items in the state to avert the growing incidences of gas explosions in the state.

He made this known on Thursday, October 8, 2020.

Equally important, Sanwo-Olu was speaking against the backdrop of the dastardly gas explosion at Baruwa, Ipaja.  The governor, who commiserated with the families of the victims, expressed deep sorrow over the gas explosion.

1st News had reported that the incident claimed multiple lives; and destroyed properties worth several millions of naira.

Sanwo-Olu, in a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Gboyega Akosile; described the incident as a sad memory in the life of the administration.

He said that the preliminary and also final reports on the cause of the explosion suggested negligence; especially on the part of the gas plant operators.

Also, he referenced a similar incident earlier in March; likewise adding that the relevant agencies in the state would soon swing into action; to clamp down on errant operators.

About The Author

A writer with a keen interest in human stories and topical issues around the world. [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.