The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said former Gov. Willie Obiano of Anambra was being quizzed over the alleged misappropriation of N42 billion belonging to the state.
An authoritative source in the EFCC also disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday, March 19, in Abuja.
The source said the former governor was being interrogated over the alleged misapplication of N5 billion Sure-P as well as N37 billion security vote, withdrawn in cash.
Other allegations include;
1. 11.3b Paris Club Refund
2. Over 75 Billion left by his predecessor.
3. 56 Million Dollars left by his predecessor
4. Borrowed and squandered over 111.48 million Dollars from China and India.
5. Accused of Owing contractors over 200 Billion.
6. Collected back from contractors money paid to them by Mr. Peter Obi for some projects, like the three arms zone, new Govt. House, Chief Judge’s house, etc.
7. 1.2 billion Naira security votes per month.
The Commission had likewise revealed that Obiano was in its custody; certainly undergoing interrogation after his arrest on March 17.
Obiano was arrested on Thursday at Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, and also brought to Abuja on Friday morning.
Mr Wilson Uwujaren, the Head of Media and Publicity of the EFFC, said; “The former governor is currently in our custody undergoing interrogation. I cannot say exactly when he will be released. I don’t know how long the exercise will take.
“All I can tell you now is that he is still in the EFCC custody in Abuja,” he said.
On Monday, March 21, the EFCC has granted Obiano administrative bail.
The EFCC Chairman, Mr Abdulrasheed Bawa disclosed this in Abuja.
Bawa, said Obiano, was, equally important, still in its custody; since he had yet to meet his bail conditions.
“Although, he has been granted bail and we are waiting for him to perfect his bail conditions.
“So far, he has been cooperating with us and everything is going on well,” he also said.