Qatar to arraign officials over forced tests of ladies at airport

Qatar to arraign officials over forced tests of ladies at airport

 

Qatar says a few air terminal authorities have been alluded for arraignment after constrained gynecological tests were done on ladies traveling to Sydney.

 

The gathering – which included ladies from Australia the UK and New Zealand – was checked for proof they had as of late conceived an offspring; after a child was found in a canister at Doha air terminal on 2 October.

 

Qatar’s legislature said on Friday that “standard strategies were disregarded”.

 

It additionally offered its “sincerest conciliatory sentiment” for what the ladies experienced.

 

Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne considered the references for indictment an “significant advance”.

 

“The announcement of the administration of Qatar is predictable with our desires for humility; responsibility and assurance to evade any rehash of this upsetting scene,” she said.

 

The incident came to light earlier this week after some of the Australian passengers spoke out; and foreign governments said they were appalled.

 

The women said they were ordered to disembark the Sydney-bound Qatar Airways flight at Hamad International Airport.

 

They were then taken to ambulances on the tarmac and told to remove their underwear before being examined.

 

The women said they were given no information by officials; and also that they did not have an opportunity to provide informed consent.

 

Female passengers on nine other flights were also reportedly examined.

 

Qatar’s Government Communication Office (GCO) said on Wednesday that airport authorities took action after a newborn baby girl was “found in a trash can; concealed in a plastic bag and buried under garbage”, in an apparent attempt to kill her.

 

“This egregious as well as life-threatening violation of the law triggered an immediate search for the parents; including on flights in the vicinity of where the newborn was found.”

 

On Friday, the GCO said a preliminary investigation into the actions of airport authorities “revealed that standard procedures were violated”.

 

 

ALSO READ: Qatar apologies, investigates forced airport examinations

 

 

 

“Those responsible for these violations and illegal actions have been referred to the Public Prosecution Office,” it added.

 

“Following the directives of His Excellency Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdul Aziz Al Thani, the prime minister and minister of interior; specialised task forces are reviewing and identifying any potential gaps in the procedures and protocols followed at Hamad International Airport; in order to address them and ensure that any violations are avoided in the future.”

 

Sheikh Khaled also expressed the government’s “sincerest apology for what some female travellers went through as a result of the measures”.

 

Short presentational transparent line

 

Those influenced incorporate 13 Australians, two Britons as well as one lady from New Zealand.

 

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison portrayed the occurrence as “horrifying” and also “unsuitable”.

 

“As a dad of a little girl, I could just shiver at the idea that anybody would; Australian or something else, would be exposed to that,” he said.

 

The UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office said it had “officially communicated our anxiety with the Qatari specialists and Qatar Airways; and are looking for affirmations an inadmissible occurrence like this can’t occur once more”.

 

New Zealand’s unfamiliar service called the activities of Qatari specialists “horrifying” and “totally unsatisfactory”.

 

 

Source: BBC

About The Author

Osigweh Lilian Oluchi is a graduate of the University of Lagos where she obtained a B.A (Hons) in English, Masters in Public and International affairs (MPIA). Currently works with 1stnews as a Database Manager / Writer. [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *