Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has promised stiffer measures against operators of gas plants and/or any combustible items in the state to avert the growing incidences of gas explosions in the state.
He made this known on Thursday, October 8, 2020.
Equally important, Sanwo-Olu was speaking against the backdrop of the dastardly gas explosion at Baruwa, Ipaja. The governor, who commiserated with the families of the victims, expressed deep sorrow over the gas explosion.
1st News had reported that the incident claimed multiple lives and destroyed properties worth several millions of naira.
Sanwo-Olu, in a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Gboyega Akosile; described the incident as a sad memory in the life of the administration. He said that the preliminary and final reports on the cause of the explosion suggested negligence; especially on the part of the gas plant operators. Also, he referenced a similar incident earlier in March; adding that the relevant agencies in the state would soon swing into action to clamp down on errant operators.
Sanwo-Olu said that his administration was commitment to the safety of lives and properties of Lagosians; by ensuring that operators followed strict regulations in the operations of gas plants. Further, he said that the Lagos State Safety Commission; as well as the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency had been notified of the next line of action.
ALSO READ: Sanwo-Olu pledges mass housing delivery
‘‘The gas explosion… has left a sour taste in my mouth. It is a reminder of the dark episode of March this year at Abule Ado Soba when innocent lives were lost to gas explosions of monumental proportion and properties destroyed.
‘‘I really can’t believe that we would witness another such incident, no matter how little. I wish to therefore register my heartfelt condolences to the families of those that lost their loved ones in the fire. I pray that God grant their souls eternal rest.
‘‘The reports I got showed that the explosion could have been avoided; if the operators of the gas plant had adhered to safety guidelines. Lives would have been saved and properties too would not have been affected,” he said.
Meanwhile, Sanwo-Olu commended the first responders who acted promptly on the distress call. In addition, he urged residents to always report any suspicious activities that might be harmful in their neighbourhood to the appropriate state government agencies for preventive measures to be taken.
1st News reports that the gas explosion occurred early on Thursday. The incident, as revealed by the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, resulted in the death of five persons. Also, eight victims are fighting for their lives after suffering major burns. In addition, 25 houses were damaged, 16 shops razed; while a private primary school, one hotel and three vehicles; comprising a pick-up truck, tricycle and a motorcycle were also affected.