South Africa confirms second case of Coronavirus

South Africa confirms second case of Coronavirus

South Africa has confirmed a second case of the dreaded coronavirus (Covid-19).

Minister of Health, Dr. Zweli Mkhize confirmed the development on Saturday.

The case is a 39-year-old woman from Gauteng. She was in direct contact with the first case from KwaZulu-Natal. Also, the woman was part of a group of 10 that had travelled to Italy.

Further, Mkhize confirmed that a 39-year-old male South African working in Daegu, South Korea; had also tested positive for Covid-19. He was due to return to South Africa but had since remained in South Korea.

“The public must be notified that we have information and know the whereabouts of all the other 10 people; who were part of the group that had travelled to Italy. All those who came back to SA, are currently being tested. We are now awaiting their test results to come out.” Mkhize said.

South Africa

ALSO READ: Coronavirus patient breaks quarantine for event

Meanwhile, the Minister disclosed that the second patient who tested positive for Covid-19 would immediately be admitted to a public health facility in Gauteng that government had identified as one of the hospitals that were ready to receive Covid-19 positive patients.

“We are now following all the protocols that we have already publicly announced to the public; in dealing with this case. We will keep the public fully informed on all relevant developments,’’ he said.

South Africa had earlier recorded its first case of coronavirus after a 38-year-old man from Hilton, KwaZulu-Natal; tested positive for the virus, three days after returning from a holiday in Italy on Sunday; thereby becoming the country’s first confirmed case of the deadly virus.

About The Author

Epicurean. Wordsmith... [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *