Suspended CJN, Walter Onnoghen confirms resignation

Suspended CJN, Walter Onnoghen confirms resignation

The suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Walter Onnoghen has resigned according to a statement by his lawyer on Friday, April 5.

This decision is coming less than two months after he was charged with non-declaration of assets that government critics said was politically motivated.

“Yes, he resigned yesterday,” Chief Justice Walter Onnoghen’s lawyer, Adegboyega Awomolo, told the media, without giving further details.

Also Read: Tribunal orders PDM to serve Buhari petition through APC

President Muhammadu Buhari suspended Onnoghen just weeks before elections in February, prompting outrage and claims he was trying to manipulate the judiciary.

Buhari said in January that apart from the “grievous” allegations in a petition against Onnoghen, “the security agencies have since then traced other suspicious transactions running into millions of dollars to the CJN’s personal accounts, all undeclared or improperly declared as required by law.”

He said the suspended CJN’s excuse that the non-declaration was due to mistake and forgetfulness was not known to law.

Onnoghen’s resignation came a day after the regulatory body for judges, the National Judicial Council (NJC), recommended he should be compulsorily retired from service.

The suspended CJN was charged with failing to declare foreign currency bank accounts, in contravention of rules governing declaration of assets for public officials.

 

About The Author

A writer with a keen interest in human stories and topical issues around the world. [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *