Taylor Swift swept the Video Music Awards (VMAs), winning in nine categories, including video of the year and song of the year, for “Anti-Hero.”
The celebrity won in every category in which she was nominated, including the night’s top prize, video of the year, given in recognition of the independently produced Anti-Hero trailer.
After previously winning for Bad Blood, You Need to Calm Down, and All Too Well: The Short Film, she became the first artist to win video of the year twice in a row and increased her record for the most victories in that category to four.
The celebrity, who is currently performing in the first $1 billion stadium tour in history, also won awards for best pop song, best pop director, best cinematography, and best visual effects for the movie Anti-Hero.
She was also awarded album of the year for Midnights, plus artist of the year and show of the summer.
The 33-year-old singer dedicated her wins to the art of songwriting.
Shakira became the first South American artist to win the coveted Video Vanguard Award. The crowd gave her a standing ovation after she performed a 10-minute medley of her biggest hits.
The Colombian star put on a spectacular show that saw her dance with knives, writhe in a fake cave and play a fiery guitar solo during Objection Tango.
Presenting her award, Wyclef Jean said: “Latin music would not be the global force that it is without Shakira.”
Here’s the full list, including the winners who weren’t televised.
- Video of the year: Taylor Swift — “Anti-Hero”
- Best alternative: Lana Del Rey featuring Jon Batiste — “Candy Necklace”
- Best rock: Måneskin — “The Loneliset”
- Artist of the year: Taylor Swift
- Best collaboration: Karol G, Shakira — “TQG”
- Best pop: Taylor Swift — “Anti-Hero”
- Song of the year: Taylor Swift — “Anti-Hero”
- Best new artist: Ice Spice
- Best latin: Anitta — “Funk Rave”
- Push performance of the year: April 2023: Tomorrow X Together — “Sugar Rush Ride”
- Best hip-hop: Nicki Minaj — “Super Freaky Girl”
- Best R&B: SZA — “Shirt”
- Show of the summer: Taylor Swift
- Best K-Pop: Stray Kids — “S-Class”
- Best Afrobeats: Rema & Selena Gomez — “Calm Down”
- Video for good: Dove Cameron — “Breakfast”
- Best direction: Taylor Swift — “Anti-Hero.” Directed by Taylor Swift.
- Best cinematography: Taylor Swift — “Anti-Hero.” Cinematography by Rina Yang.
- Group of the year: BLACKPINK
- Best visual effects: Taylor Swift — “Anti-Hero.” Visual effects by Parliament.
- Best choreography: Blackpink — “Pink Venom,” Kiel Tutin, Sienna Lalau.
- Song of the summer: Jung Kook featuring Latto — “Seven”
- Best art direction: Doja Cat — “Attention.” Art direction by Spencer Graves.
- Best editing: Olivia Rodrigo — “vampire.” Edited by Sofia Kerpan and David Checel.
- Album of the year: Taylor Swift— “Midnights”