US govt says it will no longer seize records of journalists

US govt says it will no longer seize records of journalists

 

The US justice department said on Saturday it no longer will secretly obtain reporters’ records during leak investigations; a policy shift that abandons a practice decried by news organisations and press freedom groups.

 

The reversal follows a pledge last month by President Joe Biden; who said it was “simply, simply wrong” to seize journalists’ records and that he would not permit the justice department to continue the practice.

ALSO READ: World Press Freedom Day: US slams internet shutdowns, seeks accountability for crimes against journalists

 

Democratic and Republican administrations have used subpoenas and court orders to obtain journalists’; records in an effort to identify sources who reveal classified information.

 

But the practice had received renewed scrutiny over the past month; as justice department officials alerted reporters at The Washington Post; CNN and The New York Times – that their phone records had been obtained in the final year of the Trump administration.

About The Author

Osigweh Lilian Oluchi is a graduate of the University of Lagos where she obtained a B.A (Hons) in English, Masters in Public and International affairs (MPIA). Currently works with 1stnews as a Database Manager / Writer. [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *