The US Consulate General in Lagos, on Tuesday, April 27, issued a warning to its citizens to avoid Lagos due to “a notable increase in crime in Lagos.”
This was contained in a statement issued via the website of the USA Consulate General.
According to the statement, “reports of robberies/smash-and-grabs on the roads by armed men have increased significantly on both Ikoyi and Victoria Island.
“Typically, men on a motorcycle will follow a vehicle until it stops at a traffic light or intersection; then approach the vehicle, present a weapon, and rob the occupants.
“Although most of these incidents happen at night; the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos has received reports of robberies taking place during daylight hours.”
The US Consulate further listed some precautions to be undertaken by its citizens planning to travel to Nigeria.
“The following personal safety tips can help reduce your risk of becoming a victim.
- Keep vehicle doors locked and windows rolled up at all times while driving, especially in traffic jams or at traffic lights.
- Avoid driving alone at night and do not stop to help strangers on the road.
- Ensure that valuables such as cash, laptops, phones, cameras, bags, etc. are kept out of sight.
- Park your vehicle in areas that are well lit.
- Survey the area around your vehicle before you approach and be aware of suspicious people.
- Try to use main roads and avoid taking side roads at night.
- Do not carry original documents such as your passport unless necessary.
- Do not walk alone at night.
- Carry only the amount of cash you will need.
The Consulate General also recommended that everyone consider the necessity of travel after 22:00.
Meanwhile, Bola Tinubu, National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has expressed strong support for the progressive agenda in Nigeria; with a promise to sustain it beyond 2023.
Dr Abdulrazak Danjuma, the spokesperson of the video conference engagements, said in a statement on Tuesday, April 27; that Tinubu made the promise at a virtual conference that was well attended by Nigerians across the world.
The conference with the theme: “Sustaining The Progressive Agenda For A Better Nigeria”, was hosted by Mr Ade Omole, leader of the UK Chapter of the APC.
Tinubu, represented by Mr Dele Alake at the virtual conference, said that sustaining the progressive agenda would ensure a better Nigeria in the interest of all.
He commended Omole for his tenacity and doggedness in promoting the progressive agenda.
He also applauded the APC UK helmsman for spearheading the support for the party and the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration in the Diaspora.