WAEC: Lagos private schools scheduled to resume August 3

WAEC: Lagos private schools scheduled to resume August 3

In a bid to meet up with the deadline by the West African Examination Council (WAEC); the National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools, Lagos State; has said the terminal senior secondary school pupils will resume on August 3.

This was disclosed in a press briefing issued by the President, NAPPS, Lagos State chapter; Mr Amusa Olawale, on Friday, July 24.

Olawale explained that there was a plan to ensure the conduct of the WAEC Senior Certificate Examination in September.

He said, “In the last meeting the South-West governors had with the commissioners for education; they are still working on how WASSCE would be conducted in September because if these pupils don’t sit the exam; the 2020/2021 session will be seriously affected.”

Also Read: PDP accuses APC of sabotaging ongoing corruption probes

He added that the Lagos State Ministry of Education had given them permission to resume and conduct the WAEC examinations so far the necessary health requirements were met.

“We had a meeting with the Director-General, Quality Assurance, Lagos State Ministry of Education…We shall be resuming on August 3. And we have been given clearance for reopening schools but if a school does not have the requirements, they may not be allowed to resume. For this reason, we also set up the NAPPS quality assurance committee to go round and ensure our members meet up with these requirements,” he explained.

On the other hand, Olawale mentioned that 65 per cent of NAPPS members benefited from the loan given to Small-Medium Scale Enterprise by the Federal Government.

“We facilitated the granting of FG N50bn palliative loans to 65 per cent of our members during the lockdown and just three weeks ago, we were credited,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, on Friday, July 24, explained that the 36 states of the Federation; as well as the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) are to get a grant of N100 million each from the Federal Government to boost their response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Osagie made this disclosure at the daily press briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja.

He also revealed that the states will also have access to the Basic Health Care Provisional Fund (BHCPF); once it is activated.

He said: “I am pleased to mention that all states; including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), are receiving support from the COVID-19 response; through the Regional Diseases Surveillance Enhancement (REDISSE) Project.”

‘With this support, they will receive N100 million to enhance high impact priority response activities. The soon to be reactivated BHCPF will join the funding pool.”

About The Author

A writer with a keen interest in human stories and topical issues around the world. [email protected]

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.