A well-balanced diet consists of all the essential foods needed by our bodies for energy and nutrients for growth as well as repair.
Here’s a refresher on why eating a balanced diet is important, and how diet and health are connected.
What defines a balanced diet?
A balanced diet for good health by definition consists of different varieties of food that offer all the essential carbohydrates, protein, fats, vitamins and also minerals that our body require for healthy functioning.
Here are 5 ways in which a balanced diet benefits our body:
1. Growth and Development
The body is under a constant process of growth and repair. It needs nutrients in the form of protein, vitamins and minerals to form new cells.
It involves servings of fruits and vegetables, and lean protein from sources such as lean meats, nuts, and whole grains.
2. Weight Control
A well-balanced diet can also help in weight control in people who are overweight or people who are working to maintain a steady weight.
Such a diet involves low-calorie foods that are dense in nutrients and fibre which satisfy hunger without the extra calories.
3. Supplies Energy
A calorie is a unit for energy obtained from foods. Foods with higher calories give you energy to stay alert and functioning all day.
However, intake of more calories than what you need can cause weight gain.
4. Builds Immunity
Foods rich in Vitamins like A, C, E, selenium and potassium are essential for building a robust immune system that can fight off infections to keep you healthy.
5. Improves Mental Well-being
Along with making you strong and improving your immunity, balanced diets consisting of fish, high-quality meats, whole grains, fruits and vegetables can boost mental health.
- Choosing a balanced diet is the first step toward a happy and healthy lifestyle.
- Vitamins and minerals are vital to maintaining healthy immunity and growth.
- Healthy diets can protect the body from lifestyle related, non-communicable diseases such as diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease, skeletal problems and many types of cancer.
- Balanced diets, along with fighting obesity, help maintain optimal body weight.